Discovery, producing organism and structure (1)
Frenolicin B and deoxyfrenolicin were isolated during the course of screening for antimycoplasmal antibiotics from the culture broth of the actinomycete strain AM-3867. The total synthesis of frenolicin B has been reported by many groups. The first total synthesis was reported by Kraus et al (2).
Physical data (Frenolicin B) (1)
Orange columns. C18H16O6; mol wt 328.09. Sol. in MeOH.
Biological activity (1,3)
1) Antimicrobial activity (1)
2) Frenolicin B shows anticoccidial activity in vitro and a strong immunity against Eimeria tenella infection in chicks (3).
1.  Y. Iwai et al., J. Antibiot., 31, 959–965 (1978)
2. G. A. Kraus et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 115, 5859–5860 (1993)
3.  S. Ōmura et al., J. Antibiot., 38, 1447–1448 (1985)